Epson V600 Photo Color Scanner | Slide Scanner
(4.5 out of 5 stars!)
The Epson V600 Photo, Slide and Negative Scanner Is A Consumer Favorite – Based on Price, Features and Reliability.
The Epson v600 has realized a near-perfect rating from those who have bought it – which is crucial, as photo scanning and slide scanning (slides to digital) can be incredibly satisfying with the right equipment.
That’s why we’re pleased to divulge that the Epson Perfection V600′s pc scanning software includes innovative features, like image-correction and restoration capabilities. Epson has aimed its Perfection V600 slide and negative scanner at the photographers who are price conscious, but still want a serious photo scanner.
It features a built-in Transparency Unit (TPU) that can handle entire panoramic medium format film. This permits it to support slides, negatives and medium-format panoramic film up to 6 x 22 cm. And it incorporates ReadyScan know-how, which helps overall efficiency, mainly because it permits instant scanning with no warm-up time, and lower energy usage.
But be mindful. We also discovered that even though the Epson v600 received great reviews, several users found the software to be less than desirable. However, the good news is that many users tried other software packages, and ultimately came back to the Epson software, and spent a little time upfront learning how to use it properly. Nearly all the users were able to make the necessary tweaks to the software (after some experimentation) and seemed satisfied overall with how the software operated from that point on. The remaining individuals went with VueScan, or simply touched up the digital images in PhotoShop.
The Epson v600 is an excellent purchase taking into account all it includes. We also noticed users who appreciated it because a Linux driver was obtainable, offers an infrared channel for “cleaning up” modest surface spots, and scans even the most ancient photos that undoubtedly show signs and symptoms of wear and tear.
One particular user also mentioned how pleased he was that the v600 also scanned black and white film wonderfully. Yet another user mentioned he’s scanned in excess of 600 of his older Kodachrome and Kodacolor 35mm slides from the early 80′s, with great results.
Epson v600 | Set-up and Maintenance:
The Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner offers an installation poster, so startup is simple and easy. Connect the power as well as USB cable to your laptop or computer, install the software program, and you’re ready to go. Moreover, the more compact size of the scanner makes it an excellent fit for pretty much all user environments.
Our “No B.S.” Recommendation:
For the investment, buy it. The slide and negative scanner is one of Epson’s most popular for a reason – the majority of people are happy with it, and it does all that you need it to do when you’re trying to convert slides to digital images.
Epson v600 is a proven, affordable slides to digital scanner.
- Easy to use – easily scans photos, 35mm slides, photo negatives and documents – even scan drawings and paintings!
- Setup is dummy-proof, and OCR software is included.
- No warm-up time needed – just turn it on and start scanning.
- Software helps remove dust and scratches easily, and the One-Touch Color Restoration feature is perfect for the novice.
- Espon drivers don’t seem to work as well with Mac OS.
- Color negatives (emulsions) do not seem to scan as well as other images/documents (but certainly acceptable).
- Scanner only asks if you’re scanning positive, negative, color, or B&W – something more skilled users should know.
What’s in the Box?
- Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner
- Transparency Unit (built into lid)
- 35mm, mounted slides, and 6×22 cm Medium-format Film Holders
- Scanner Installation CD-ROM
- Adobe® Photoshop® Elements DVD
- Scanner Setup Poster
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Cable
- AC Power Adapter and Cord
|Price||Starts at $183 (generally priced at $199)|
|Shipping||Varies: Free to $20|
|Brand Name||Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner|
|Hardware Platform||PC, Mac|
|Scanner Type||Flatbed color image scanner|
|Scanner Interface||USB 2.0|
|Scanner Speed||> High-speed mode: 6400 dpi;
> Color: 21.00 msec / line
> Monochrome: 21.00 msec / line
|Scan Area||> 8.5" x 11.7"
> TPU: 2.7" x 9.5"
|Resolutions||> 6400 x 9600 dpi (hardware)
> 12,800 x 12,800 dpi (maximum)
> 6400 dpi (optical)
|Color Bit Depth||48-bit internal / external (16-bit for grayscale)|
|Optical Density||3.4 Dmax|
|Media Type||35mm slides, film negatives, color photos, documents, transparencies|
|Minimum system requirements||> Windows Requirements:
- IBM® compatible PC with Pentium® II 450 MHz or higher processor
- USB 2.0/1.1: Windows® 7/Windows Vista® — 1 GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 90MB HDD; Windows XP Professional x64, XP Home, XP Professional, 2000 Professional — 800 MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 90MB HDD
- DIGITAL ICE: Windows® 7/Windows Vista® — 1 GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 1GB HDD; Windows XP Professional x64, XP Home, XP Professional, 2000 Professional — 800 MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 1GB HDD
> Macintosh Requirements:
- PowerPC® G3 400 MHz or Intel®-based CPU
- USB 2.0/1.1: Mac OS X® 10.3.9 or 10.4.x – PowerPC G3 600 MHz/Intel® 1 GHz CPU, 256MB RAM, 100MB HDD; Mac OS 10.5.x or later – PowerPC G4 867 MHz/Intel 1 GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 100MB HDD
- DIGITAL ICE: Mac OS X 10.3.9 or 10.4.x – PowerPC G3 600 MHz/Intel 1 GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 1GB HDD; Mac OS 10.5.x or later – PowerPC G4 867 MHz/Intel 1 GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 1GB HDD
This is the video/photos Section.
User Reviews – Summarized
(4.5 out of 5 stars!)
- “Great results with film, 6×7, 645, and 135 (35mm)”
- “Photo scanning is automatic – a huge advantage! Also, the slide scanner can scan without choosing and then cropping each and every negative.”
- “Easy to use … put the v600 to the test and I only have successes to share.”