Nikon CoolScan V ED | Negative Scanner
(4 out of 5 stars!)
Go with the Nikon CoolScan 5000 or the Nikon CoolScan V ED, as the Nikon CoolScan 4000 has been phased out.
Everywhere we looked, the Nikon CoolScan 4000 appears to have been phased out. In it’s place – the Nikon CoolScan 5000 or the Nikon V ED.
Frankly, we like the Nikon CoolScan 5000 best, due to its auto-feeder and overall durability. See our review by clicking the link in the top right hand corner of this site.
Still, we’ll give you the basics for the Nikon V ED, which you’ll find by clicking any of the tabs above.
Our “No B.S.” Recommendation:
Seriously consider going with the Nikon CoolScan 5000, or any of the other slide and negative scanners we’ve reviewed on this site.
The Nikon CoolScan V ED is an above-average 35mm slide scanner.
- Right out of the box, you get photo scanning at 4000 dpi true optical resolution and direct-film loading.
- USB 2.0 (PC) or a Firewire Interface (Mac) give you decent speed, starting at 38-second scanning.
- Software and Digital ICE help you clean up “dusty” negatives easily.
- This 35mm slide scanner now includes a new scan-image enhancer, helping you capture even more image details.
- Above-average quality for the cost.
- Photo scanning | slide and negative scanning speed could be improved.
- Some noted that User Documentation is not easy to understand (we found the User Manual, and offer you a link under our “Video | Manual” tab – so that you can determine for yourself).
- Early buyers(2006/2007) reported software driver issues, which seem to have been fixed since then.
|Price||Start at $1,999|
|Brand Name||Nikon CoolScan 4000 | V ED|
|Hardware Platform||PC, Mac|
|Scanner Type||Fixed film, movable plane single-pass optical scanning system|
|Scanner Interface||USB 2.0|
|Supplied Accesories||MA-21 Slide Mounter Adapter, SA-21 Strip Film Adapter|
|Media Size Maximum||35mm slides: Slides with mounts 1.0-3.2mm thick, 49-50.8mm wide
35mm film strips: 2-6 frames; strips of 1-6 frames can be scanned with the optional strip film holder FH-3
APS (IX240) film: Cartridges of 15, 25 and 40 frames can be scanned with the optional IX240 film adapter IA-20(s).
Slide glass for microscopes: Prepared slides (26x76mm, 0.8-1.5mm thick) can be scanned with optional medical slide holder FH-G1.
|Color Depth||14-bit A/D converter|
|Optical Resolution||4000 dpi true optical resolution|
|Aperture/Scan range (pixels)||MA-21: 25.1 x 36.8mm/3,946 x 5,782 pixels/same as slide mount.
SA-21: 25.1 x 38.0mm/3,946 x 5,959 pixels/23.4 x 36.0mm.
IA-20(s): 18.6 x 28.4mm/2,915 x 4,453 pixels/16.1 x 27.4mm.
|Light Source||R, G, B and Infrared (IR) LEDs|
|Minimum system requirements||Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition / Windows ME, Apple MacOS 9.1 or later, Apple MacOS X 10.1.5 or later|
Nikon CoolScan 4000 Videos | Brochure:
No videos are available for this Nikon CoolScan 4000, as it is currently being phased out – which is why we’re steering you toward the Nikon CoolScan 5000 slide and negative scanner.
User Reviews – Summarized
– 4 out of 5 Stars!
- Five stars – Quality product; great outcome! Beats spending the money sending your slides to a third-party vendor. Plus you control how your final scanned image looks…
- Five stars – Easy installation. Noise level more than acceptable.
- Software takes a little tweaking, but can produce great images with just a few clicks of the mouse.
The best place for reviews is from people who have offered their perspectives for this product. See More Reviews for the Nikon CoolScan 4000 | V ED Film Scanner